The Carlos Andwandter Natural Sancturay
on the Cruces River is almost 4,870 hectare wide and is one of the
most important area as regards the presence and reproduction of
Black-necked Swans, Snowy-crowned Terns, White-necked Herons, Buff-necked
Ibis, White-faced Ibis, Olivaceus Cormorants, coots etc. One can
also find there some semi-aquatic mammals, such as the Huillin,
the Coipo, the Mink as well as nightbirds such as the Rufous-legged
Owl (owl from the center south of Chile).
We will all meet in Vadivia at 08.30 am and check the last details
of the trip. You will be given general instructions on safety rules
and on the best paddling technics. We will prepare all the equipment
and start our quiet navigation on this wetland and discover, little
by little, all the lifeforms that exist there.
Day 2 to Day 4:
We will carry on our exploration of this wonderful place that hosts
more than 100 species of birds as well as a great variety of wild
flowers and some unspoiled areas of native forests.
Every night we will camp on the riverside and enjoy the silence,
the sunsettings on the water, the reflects of the lights, the singing
of the birds at dawn... until reaching our destination, the San
Luis de Alba Fortification, built in 1647, that was part of the
defensive system of Valdivia. Its mision was to control the sailings
upstream and to protect the comunications with the settlements that
were more in north. We will then go back to Valdivia, town created
in 1552, and end our trip by visiting the Niebla Fortification (XVII
century) if our shedule allows us and the weather enables it. End
of our service at bus terminal or at the airport.
this trip we will be really independent since we will have all the
equipment we need in our kayaks (camping equipment, food, clothes...).
Each participant will have the opportunity to get really involved
in the trip.
This program may suffer some changes at any stage of the trip,
according to the weather or other elements that may present a risk
for the security of the group. In this area, the rainfalls reach
in average 2,000 mm per year, and originated thus an almost unspoiled
We will be sea kayaking in an area quite far from any medical care
centre, so we advice people who want to participate that they must
have a health state suitable for outdoors activity.
Day 5 to Day 6: (Optional)
Horseback riding crossing the Coast Range to the Pacific
Ocean and hiking in the coast of Mehuin..
- SMALL EXPEDITION GROUPS, maximum of 6 (security and impact)
- Safety-talk before departure, about paddling and rescue maneuvers.
- Local transfers in our private van : Valdivia - San Luis de
Alba Fortification - Valdivia
- Food during the trip according to program (from lunch day 1
to lunch last day)
B: breakfast ; L: lunch or box lunch (trail food) ; D: Dinner
- Navigation Equipment: Single and double sea Kayaks imported
from the USA and Germany, expedition models, with original rudder,
spray skirt, paddles, life jackets, paddling jackets.
- Camping and cooking equipment (2 person tents, tarp)
- Safety Equipment:
Marine Band Radio, rescue equipment, strobe light, flares, First
Aid, towing equipment, tide tables, nautical charts and topographical
- Entry fees to the Niebla and San Luis de Alba Fortifications.
- English speaking sea kayaking guide with first aid course (Wilderness
First Responder Course) , sea kayak rescue knowledge and N.O.L.S
- Know how to swim
- Physical state and health compatible with the activity to
- Previous indication of any illness or health problem
- Strictly abide by the indications of the guides during the trips
- Positive mental attitude in front of unexpected situations
- Understand that this is team activity in the outdoors
and the participation of each person at each stage is
- Understand that all activities performed in nature can indicate
- The program could be modified at any stage due to weather conditions
or sudden incidents that could affect the security of the group
- Before the trip you must send signed the Release
of Liability. form existing in our web site.
- To have read and have a clear understanding of the
Terms and Conditions section existing in our web site.
- We must state that the success of
this type of trips is subject to unexpected weather and
personal situations, so adventurous spirit and good disposition
will be fundamental.
- Hospitals and Professional First Aid Care are far from
the place where we will be navigating. Participants must
be healthy and in good physical conditions
AFTER you press the RESERVATION button, send us an email specifying:
- Your Name , age
Name of the trip you want (number of days)
Number of participants
Date of the trip you want (and your availability)
* we will send you a Reservation and Medical Forms that you have to send us back by email