Sea Kayaking in Bariloche - Argentina
The Nahuel Huapi is a gigantic lake of blue transparent waters
originating from a glacier. It stands out from the ample chain of
lakes in the region due to it's complex form and great size. It's
coasts are irregular, it has many islands, an uncountable number
of bays and peninsulas, in addition to various deep extensions of
water. It is surrounded by large strings of mountains from which
the majestic Tronador volcano arises. It's name must be given due
to the loud fall of rock and ice from it's glaciers and to
Cathedral Hill, a string of granite peaks. The area covers approximately
The maximum depth of the lake is known to be 454 meters and it's
surface area reaches to 557 km2, located 764 meters above sea level.
Along the shores of the great lake sits the important touristic cities of San Carlos de Bariloche and Villa La Angostura. The Nahuel Huapi
lake was discovered by the Spanish conquerors in 1620, when an expedition
of 46 men under the command of captain Juan Fernandez proceeded
from what is now Chilean territory to cross the Andes in search of
the city of the Caesars.
||suitable for any level
|| 4 days
| Time of Year
||September to April
| Trip Details
||Begin and end in Osorno / Villa
| # of participants
||camping and hostel
||Weather in the
||Crossing the Andes,
Bariloche, Nahuelhuapi Lake, waterfalls,fiords flora and
||-Canyoning, rafting, trekking Bariloche
||sea kayak paddling, trekking,
visit to Bariloche
|How To Get There
YAK EXPEDICIONES vehicle
Our expedition will cross through two national parks, Puyehue
in Chile and Nahuelhuapi in Argentina, traveling a total of
290 km. Dense native jungles, translucent rivers, the impressive
image of Puyehue Lake and it's islands will accompany us until
the beginning of the ascend up to the international crossing through
a pass of volcanic remains at an altitude of 1,308m. Forests of
birch, masses of granite rock, steep cliffs and snow will
be part of the scenery as we descend through Argentinean territory.
We will camp along the shores of this gigantic lake discovered in
1670 by Jesuit missionaries coming from Chiloe.
Day 1: check
HERE for Photo Gallery and description
- Groups of up to 6 people.
- Transportation in our van (round trip) from Osorno to Bariloche
- Paddling Equipment: Single and double sea kayaks, imported
from the USA and Germany, expedition models, with original rudder,
spray skirt, paddles, high floatation life jackets, YAK paddling
jackets, neoprene suit.
- Security Equipment: Marine Band Radio, rescue equipment, strobe
light, flares, First Aid, towing equipment, tide tables, nautical
charts and topographical maps.
- Cooking and Camping Equipment:
2 person tent (shared), tarp, etc.
- Food during the trip (from lunch day 1 to breakfast day 5)
- Shopping tour in Bariloche.
- Swimming expertise
- Contemplative attitude and respect for the existing
- Physical state and health compatible with the activity to be
- Previous indication of any illness or health problem
- Strictly abide by the indications of the guides during the
- Positive mental attitude in front of unexpected
- Understand that this is team activity in the outdoors and the participation of each person at
each stage is fundamental.
- Understand that all activities performed in nature can
indicate some risk.
- Before trip you must turn in a signed form of
Release of Liability.
- To have read and clearly understand the General
We must state that the success of this type of trips is subject to
unexpected weather and personal situations, so adventurous spirit
and good disposition will be fundamental.
AFTER you press the RESERVATION button, send us an email specifying:
- Your Name , age
Name of the trip you want (number of days)
Number of participants
Date of the trip you want (and your availability)
* we will send you a Reservation and Medical Forms that you have to send us back by email