Discover Cochamó Seakayaking , Horseriding and Hiking (2 days)
Why Cochamo ?
Cochamo valley, fascinating and nearly an untouched area.
Wikipedia says: ...Cochamó Valley is a U-shaped valley , an unexplored paradise for serious and amateur hikers - with trails ranging from easy to challenging, a myriad of rare bird and plant life, and a stunning landscape. It is located in the Andes, south of Vicente Perez Rosales National Park , in the X region of Chile. The valley has a striking similarity to Yosemite Valley. Like Yosemite, rock climbers from around the world come here to climb the valley's several 1000-meter granite walls.
The trail that starts from the river, and carries on up through Argentina traverses some of the most unspoiled areas of northern Patagonia, and rewards travelers with views of plunging waterfalls, soaring condors, towering Alerce trees.
The trail is more than 100 years old, and was used to transport Argentinean beef cattle from across the border to be shipped from Cochamo. In turn, dried and smoked fish and shellfish made the return journey into the mountains into Argentina.
The valley is home to dense, virgin temperate rainforest - one of only three such remaining forests in the world. It is not unusual to find trees close to 1,000 years old. Wild boar, pudu, and the occasional puman inhabit the upper slopes - but are rarely seen and rarely a threat to man.
There is no road for vehicles through the entire valley of Cochamó.
* Cochamo village is a 120 kilometers distance from Puerto Montt airport and a 97 kilometers distance from Puerto Varas.
A Gaucho (chilean cowboy)
What do we offer ?
* A trip that combines adventure,
challenge and multicultural experiences amongst a marvelous and
authentic scenery in the Northern Patagonia area of Chile.
* Visitors who are keen to explore this natural magnificence on horseback or via hiking
* Get inside dense forested valleys and high mountain passes.
* We bring you directly into this pure, unspoilt wilderness through a scenic landscape situated behind the two famous volcanoes Osorno and Calbuco
* Plateau of lakes, waterfalls, rivers, ancient forests and granite walls.
* Visit part of the legendary 300 year old "gaucho trail" once used by local indigenous, Spaniards and missionaries
||Active participants that enjoy exploring and sharing with the authentic local people.
(1 Day / 3 Days)
| Time of
All year , upon request, although it rains
| Trip Details
||Begin/Ends in Puerto Varas
| Number of participants
||6 active participants
Weather in the zone
* Scenic driving from Puerto Varas to Ensenada enjoying beautiful
views of Osorno and Calbuco Volcanoes
and once close to the sea, great views
of Yates Volcanoe, fishermen villages, Cochamó village and
it´s beautiful church.
*Good probabilities to see sealions and variety of seabirds, plus...dolphins.
*Forested valleys and high mountain passes.
Seakayak trips in the area:
* Northern Patagonia Fjords of Pumalin Park (4,6 days)
* Todos los Santos Lake (1-3 days)
* Reloncavi Fjord (1-3 days)
* Chiloe: Churches and Nature : (Penguins and kayaking wetlands of Chepu River)
Seakayaking Reloncavi Fjord , horseriding and hiking Cochamo Valley .
get to Puerto Varas ?
Fly to Santiago airport and then fly 1.5 hours to Puerto Montt airport , then take a 30 minutes taxi to Puerto Varas
(Puerto Varas - Seakayaking Reloncavi Fjord , the first Fjord of Patagonia)
Reloncavi Fiord - The fisrt Fiord of Patagonia
At 8 AM we will start driving from Puerto Varas to Ensenda enjoying
some beautilful views of Osorno Volcanoe, right north of LLanquihue
lake, the second biggest of Chile. Then we will continue to Ralún , our starting point, where
the clear waters of Petrohue river meets the salt water of the Pacific
Ocean at the Reloncavi Fjord , the first fjord of Patagonia.
Osorno volcanoe and Llanquihue Lake
Reloncavi Fjord in Cochamo area - our starting point
After receiving a complete safety talk and practising some paddling
strokes we will start our navigation with wonderful views of Yates
volcanoe, green hillsides , fisherman villages, variety of sea birds
, pelicans, good possibilities to see dolphins and sealions.
Cochamo village and it´s wooden Church
As we will be travelling in small groups , paddling slowly and
quietly , we will have good opportunities to enjoy the flight of
a variety of birds , the colours of the the clouds reflecting in
the water , and the magnificent sound of the silence. We will stop
for lunch on a beach and enjoy stunning surroundings with the Patagonian
Andes in the background. Camp at Reloncavi Fjord facing Yates Volcanoe.
( Cochamo village - Horseriding Cochamo valley - Puerto Varas)
After a good breakfast , we will start padling towards Cochamó village where we will meet our local guide (gaucho) and start our horseriding and hiking exploration. A clear water river will be waiting for us , if you want to swim, sleep or just take photographs.
Picnic in a nice spot and return to Cochamó leter.
Return to Puerto Varas late in the afternoon.
Clear water river
Weather: Summer in the Southern Hemisphere starts in December and ends in Mid-March. Average daily temperature is 25 °C and at night 10 °C. October, November and Mid-March to April are mild and weather conditions are generally more stable than during the summer months. Rainny weather is always possible.
- Physical state and health compatible with the activity to be
- Previous indication of any illness or health problem
- Positive attitude in front of unexpected situations. You'll
find your trip even more enjoyable if you remember to bring flexibility
and a sense of humor with you.
- Understand that this kind of trips requieres team work meanaing
the participation of each person at each stage .
- Understand that all activities performed in nature can indicate
- The program could be modified at any stage due to weather conditions
or sudden incidents that could affect the security of the group
- Before trip starts you must send us signed the Release of Liability Form and the Reservation and Medical
Forms that appears after you press the Reservation Button.
- To have read and have a clear understanding of the Terms and Conditions section.
- SMALL GROUPS, maximum of 6 (safety and respect for the environment
and the local people)
- Authentic interaction with the local people we meet in the area.
- Transportation in private van from Puerto Varas to Cochamo and back to Puerto Varas.
- Food according to program (B: Breakfast -L: boxlunch/picnic -D: cooked dinner)
- Local experienced horseriding guide (gaucho).
- Safety talk and practice of paddling and rescue techniques before
the trip starts.
- Complete Paddling Equipment : expedition sea kayaks imported
from the USA, Germany and Canada , with original rudder, spray skirt,
paddles, life jackets, paddling jackets , paddle float and pumps.
- Camping and cooking equipment (2 person shared tents, tarp)
- Safety Equipmen while seakayaking t: Satellite Telephone, VHF Marine Radio, towing
equipment, tide tables, Satellite photographs, etc.
- Kayak Guide: certified by bthe British Canoe Union (BCU) as BCU 4 STAR Seakayak Award, English speaking
guide with NOLS trainning, first aid and rescue knowledge (Wilderness
First Responder Course).
* The horseriding trip is done by an expert local who has been riding horses all his life and now he is showing his land to more people.
must state that the success of this type of trips is subject to
unexpected weather and personal situations, so a positive attitude , an adventurous spirit
and good disposition will be fundamental.
AFTER you press the RESERVATION button, send us an email specifying:
- Your Name , age
Name of the trip you want (number of days)
Number of participants
Date of the trip you want (and your availability)
* we will send you a Reservation and Medical Forms that you have to send us back by email.